Help and assistance

Every victim of domestic violence is entitled to receive protection and support provided by the State.

French law provides that the victims of domestic violence should be protected and that perpetrators should be held accountable for their actions. Immediate help should be available to someone in danger and structural assistance and legal help should be provided for victims to change their situation. Victims of domestic violence also have the right to a police decision on separation and a court decision on temporary protection and other protective measures.


  • In case of emergency, if you believe that your or someone else’s safety, health or life is currently endangered, you should call the police on 17 or 112.
  • If you are unable to speak (due to danger or disability) you can send a free text message to the police on 114. You will then communicate with the police in writing.
  • If it is not an emergency, you do not need to call the police on 17 but instead call your local police station.
  • You may also call a state provided emergency assistance line for victims and witnesses of crime on 116006. It is a free number, open 7 days a week and all year around, from 9am to 7pm. You will get help from a professional anonymously.
  • If there is no emergency, you may call the 3919, a national helpline dedicated for women who are victims of domestic violence, for those around them and for the professionals concerned. This number is anonymous and free of charge. It is available from 9am to 10pm Monday to Friday, and from 9am to 6pm on Saturdays and Sundays. This number allows victims to talk about their situation and communicate with a professional who will give information on the steps to take and make appropriate referrals to local support and care services.
  • In case you need emergency accommodation and/or day care services, you can call the Social Samu (115), a free and anonymous service which provides special reception and accommodation facilities for victims.
  • If you need urgent medical care, call the Samu (15) or the fire brigade (18).

About this section

This section of the Guide will explain the types of emergency, as well as structural support services, which are available to victims of domestic violence, further.


Last updated 08/11/2023